Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Now the pressure's off I can enjoy the small finishes

I know it's nothing like the temperatures people in Scandinavia and North America suffer but boy is it cold here at the moment.
It's turned decidedly nippy in our neck of the woods. We have a flock of redwings foraging on the berries in our back garden so this is a sure sign that it's taken a turn for the cold!
Maybe it's because we seldom get really cold weather and so aren't used to it that we feel it so much. Possibly our English houses are less effectively insulated and heated than our Scandinavian counterparts. Perhaps our clothes aren't as warm and snuggly as they might be.
But I'm really struggling with the perpetual cramped sensation of feeling tensed up against the cold. Time to buy some thermal knickers and vests I reckon.
Of course the offshoot of such a purchase is bound to be a sudden change to distinctly milder temperatures again :o)
Here's the little bear wall hanging I completed last night for my colleague and friend Trish with whom I share the admin responsibility for the school.
A simple finish, but effective - hope she likes it.

16 comments:

Clare said...

It's freezing here too. 3 days of hard frosts and it was down to -10°C on Sunday night. Supposed to be getting warmer tomorrow which means rain!

The little bear wall hanging is soo sweet.

Susan D said...

I think we've been spoilt over the past few winters because it's been so mild we have forgotten how cold it can get at times.

Joyce said...

Just wrap yourself in a quilt and enjoy. It's cold here but much less humid. It's much harder to stay warm in humid cold.

Doodlebug Gail said...

Cute little bear stitchery. It's that damp cold you have in England which is so hard to keep warm in. If I'm visiting England in the winter I always make sure to pack extra layers .... your homes are not as heated/insulated as ours are on this side of the pond. Take care of yourself and keep warm.

Libby said...

It's true that cold is all relative . . . with our temps normally around 70, when the mercury dips to the 40's and 50's we feel it here. I don't think I own a proper jacket . . . just make do with a heavy sweatshirt - but sometimes it's not enough.

meggie said...

I wish we could send you some of the warmth from this area!
But Thermal underwear is the way to go!

Love that little Bear! Your work is so neat & original.

hetty said...

Yup, thermal knickers are the way to go! Your homes just aren't built for the cold, like ours are over here! That little bear wall hanging is adorable! I am sure Trish will love it, and if she doesn't I'll gradly take it off your hands! I'm new to your blog. Just recently discovered it, but think it's great!

Suzie Sews At DOTTY RED said...

I adore that stitchery its beautiful
Suzie Sews

Shelina said...

I've been a little slow in blog reading lately, and enjoyed seeing all of the quilts you have been making lately. You certainly have been busy. The bear wall hanging is cute. I'm sure it will be loved by the recipient. I think it is good to live someplace where it does get chilly - it gives you more excuses to make quilts!

Judy said...

We're finally getting some cold but not below 45...everything you made for gifts and such are just wonderful!

Juliann in WA said...

Merry Christmas to you too and a very happy, fabric filled New Year's too.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Lily Mulholland said...

Beary cute and santa claws - LOL!

Glad you've been able to finish so many gifts Anne. A quilt for oneself? That WOULD be lovely!

Merry Christmas.

Sarah Nopp said...

We have the same problem here too in soggy Western Washington. Not really cold enough to wear heavy clothes, or even own them.
But I grew up in Montana. So I have always had a few pair of wool socks, with some house slippers and a nubby sweater will do the trick inside.
Then just add to that when you leave the house!

Featheronawire Sally Bramald said...

We've had some redwings here in the middle of town. It has been cold hasn't it. Though I preferred it to the grey we have now.
Sally

Patti said...

How cute! I'm sure she must have loved it. How could one not love something as cute as this?

I love how your winter hanging is looking too. That focus fabric is beautiful. I've not seen anything like that before.